The Public Sector Leadership Certificate (PSLC) is designed for emerging leaders or those wanting to energize their leadership working in law enforcement, public safety, city, state, and county government, and any public sector organization.
This program was developed through extensive feedback from public sector leaders about what is needed to be successful in the public sector currently and in our changing world.
This program incorporates an assessment that provides a picture of your current management and leadership strengths while providing insight into opportunity areas for growth and development.
Program topics include:
- Exploration of proven leadership characteristics: empathy, integrity, trust, etc.
- Understanding your authentic leadership strengths and opportunities
- Understanding of how others view your leadership
- Managing in a multi-generational workplace
- Transitioning from peer to supervisor
- Balancing day-to-day operational responsibilities with longer-term strategy and planning
- The importance of coaching, mentoring, and empowering others
- How to manage and create conditions for change
- How to create a culture of inclusion that attracts the right talent
- Understanding trends and creative problem solving
- Carrying out organizational vision and strategy
Current and emerging leaders or experienced leaders within a public sector organization wanting to energize their leadership skills. Participants with direct reports will greater benefit from the program.
- Exploration of proven leadership characteristics; empathy, integrity, trust, etc.
- The elements of being servant leaders
- Addressing management vs. leadership
- Does the image of you as a leader match how others see you
- How do you transition from peer to supervisor
- Balancing day-to-day operational responsibilities with longer term strategy and planning
- The importance of coaching, mentoring, and empowering others and developing the necessary skills
- How to lead through change and create the conditions for sustainability of change
- How to create an environment of inclusion to attract a diverse workforce
- Understanding the business of the public sector
"I would highly recommend the program for your executive level staff, but especially for your mid-level managers and supervisors. The vast variety of topics, group work, and peer interaction all benefited me in my position."
— Chief Steve Pegram, Goshen Township Fire & EMS
"I think every public servant should take the Public Sector Leadership Program at Xavier Leadership Center. It is a completely transformational experience. Not only do you discover your strengths as a leader and a public servant, but your opportunities for growth as well."
— Earl Price, Sheriff's Captain, Training Coordinator, Hamilton Sheriff Department
"The Public Sector Leader Certificate Program gave me the knowledge to not only be able to properly rate myself as leader but also to see how others in my field rated me. This side by side comparison opened my eyes to areas I hadn’t thought of as in need of improvement and pointed out strengths I didn’t know I had."
— Chief Richard L. Wallace, Amberley Village Police-Fire Department
“The Public Sector Leadership Certificate Program provided me with an opportunity to recognize what leadership qualities I already possessed and taught me to build upon those qualities to make me an even more productive leader.”
— Captain Ron Wallace, Norwood Fire Departme